Now that we've covered what rematching is not, let's talk about what rematching IS:
The unfortunately reality is, some people sign up, and life happens, which means they do not fulfill their end of the bargain in shipping their gift to their giftee. We won't go into the nitty gritty, but more often than not, it is not out of malice that this happens.
Based entirely on volunteers, we will do our best to rematch people who do not get a gift from their original Santa with a rematch Santa, who will send them a gift without receiving anything in return. We will rematch every volunteer we get, but at the end of the day, if we do not have enough volunteers, not everyone will be rematched.
We do rematching in groups, and daily batches based on the following:
The day after the shipping deadline: People whose original Santa never retrieved their info.
This is known as "round 1" of rematching. As a giftee, you do not explicitly do anything. We already know they did not pull your information.
Two weeks after the shipping deadline: People whose original Santa did not mark a gift shipped.
This is known as "round 2" of rematching. As a giftee, you do not need to explicitly do anything. We already know they did not ship a gift
Three weeks after the shipping deadline: People whose original Santa marked a gift shipped, but has not been received
This is known as "round 3" of rematching. As a giftee, you must report no gift (3) on redditgifts, and you must request a rematch Santa
To qualify as a rematch giftee, you must:
- Have shipped your gift to your giftee.
- Complete the appropriate action required (if any) of you depending on what round you're in.
- Have not previously shafted a rematch giftee in the past.
As a volunteer rematch Santa, you should know:
- If you signed up for more than one new giftee, they might be in different rounds.
- We will send you an email every time you get new giftees.
- We recommend spending the same amount on your giftee as you would if it were a normal match.
- There is no hard deadline when you must ship your rematch gift by, but it should be in a timely manner.
- When you ship your rematch gift, make it very clear it is from their rematch Santa-- you don't want their original Santa getting credit for your hard work!